Great Tips for Icing Decorations
Are you looking for a little cake decorating inspiration? You may be a pro at it, or you may not be, either way, you may need a little help. Golden Cloud has a simple guide that focuses on great tips on decorating a cake for the beginning home baker.
If you have a lot of celebrations coming up, decorating cakes yourself can be both a money-saver and a fun hobby to learn!
While fancy flowers and pretty piping may look scary, you can actually get started with just a few tools around your house and a couple of basic techniques. Decorating cakes can be super simple.
We have made things a little easier for you, Golden Cloud Vanilla Cake mix includes icing mix.
Once you have baked your Golden Cloud Vanilla Cake as per the instructions at the back of the box:
Let them cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out the cakes while they are still quite hot. Let them cool on a rack in a single layer.
Now to make your swiss meringue:
- Heat the egg whites and caster sugar in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, beating your meringue slowly at first, Increase the speed gradually.
- Pour the mixture into a separate bowl, out of the saucepan, and continue to beat until your mixture has completely cooled. The meringue must be smooth, supple, and shiny.
- Take two thirds of this mixture and incorporate softened butter while continuing to beat for 3 minutes. The texture should be firm and creamy.
- Set aside the swiss meringue butter cream in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Also set aside the remaining one third of the swiss meringue in the refrigerator to make a fun unicorn mane.
For the unicorn’s features, you must make the eyes, ears, and the horn of the unicorn out of fondant icing - have some fun with this one.
Now for the fun part!
Start assembling the cake. Spread a layer of buttercream over a first round of cake, arrange a few raspberries on top, place your second round of cake and press down lightly.
Next, cover the whole cake with a first layer of buttercream and set it aside in the refrigerator for about 10–15 minutes. Cover with a second layer of butter cream and smooth the surface. The cake must be very even. If needed, refrigerate for 10 minutes and cover with a final layer of buttercream.
Take out the remaining swiss meringue that was set aside for the mane. Divide between 5 bowls, leave one white, and colour the others with yellow, green, blue, and pink colouring, whisking in each colour well. Make 5 strips of colour side by side on a piece of plastic wrap, roll up and place inside a piping bag with your choice of nozzle. Set aside in the refrigerator.
Place the horn and ears you made earlier on top of the cake, then pipe the rainbow meringue all around the horn and ears, making a mane that goes down the back of the cake. Arrange the eyes on the side. Sprinkle with glitter or gold hundreds and thousands.
As an accompaniment you could always use the Golden Cloud Vanilla Cake Mix to make 24 delicious cupcakes!
Quick Pro tips:
- If you’re planning to pipe a message, write it out on wax paper and trace it to get a feel for the motion. You can also practice dots and flowers on wax paper before moving to your cake.
- Always remember that practice Makes Perfect.
- Don’t be discouraged if your first few attempts don’t turn out perfectly. They’ll still taste delicious!
Be warned — once you start to make beautiful cakes with Golden Cloud, all your friends and family will want one for their birthdays and parties too!