Cape Town-themed Gingerbread house
By Nicole Snelling
- 3 Cups Golden cloud cake flour, sifted
- 120g butter, room temperature
- ½ Cup dark brown sugar
- 50ml golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 Cups icing sugar
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- Beacon sweets of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with some baking paper.
- Add the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a mixing bowl and using an electric beater and beat for 5 minutes or until pale in colour. Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Add the Golden cloud cake flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon, ginger and salt, then mix until combined and a dough forms. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes before rolling out onto a floured surface. Roll out to ½ cm in thickness and using a gingerbread house template, cut out the individual parts out needed for the house. Place the cut outs onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool down completely before assembling the house and decorating.
- To make the icing, add the sugar, eggs whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl, using an electric beater, beat for 5-7 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Place some icing in a piping ready to assemble the house and add some colourants to the remaining icing for decorating.
- To assemble the house, secure one of the rectangles and one of the side walls to a cake board with the icing and allow to dry. Support the walls against a tall jar or vase.
- Secure the other walls using the icing and allow to dry completely before decorating.