Gingerbread Christmas Tree Centre Piece
By Jay Miller
Are you looking for the perfect centre piece for your Christmas Lunch Table? Jay Miller’s miniature Christmas tree made of Gingerbread biscuits is the perfect piece! This delicious centre piece is made with the all the sweet ingredients of Christmas! And is sure to keep every guest at their seat this Christmas.
- 200g salted butter
- 90ml golden syrup
- 200g yellow sugar
- 450g Golden cloud cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 cup Golden cloud wheat semolina
- 120g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250g cream cheese
- 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon
- 2 packets of Beacon fruit jubes
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- Piping bag with star nozzle (20mm)
- Set of cookie cutters (either plain or with a scalloped edge)
- Medium sized star shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 170C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Start with gingerbread, combine butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan and melt together over a medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine golden cloud cake flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground spices in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the candied ginger and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Place dough on a clean work surface dusted with Golden Cloud Wheat semolina and roll out the dough to desired thickness. I usually aim for about 0.5cm thick.
- Using a set of round cookie cutters, cut a circle of each of the different sizes out of the dough as well as a star for the top of the tree and transfer the shapes to the lined baking trays.
- Cover the shapes loosely with cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the gingerbread biscuits to cool on their trays.
- For the icing, beat the butter using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat only until well incorporated.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until well incorporated and smooth.
- Add the cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- To assemble start by piping a bit of icing on a plate. Next place your largest gingerbread circle on top of the plate. Using a star piping tip, pipe a layer of icing over the first gingerbread circle.
- Place the next size on top and continue the process until you get to the smallest circle at the top.
- Pipe a dollop of icing on the top and place your star at the top of the tree.
- Finally using your Beacon fruit jubes, decorate your tree to your hearts content.
- For the final touch, add a dusting of icing sugar over your tree to add some Christmas cheer