Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 60 Minutes
- 2 ½ cups Golden Cloud Cake Flour plus extra
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine, chilled and cubed
- 250g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 90ml ice water
- 2 pie crusts
- 3-4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 cups diced strawberries
- 1⅓ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 egg white
Pie Crust Method
- Process flour, sugar, and salt together in a food processor until combined
- Scatter margarine over top and process for about 10 seconds until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal
- Scatter butter over the mixture and pulse until your dough resembles coarse crumbs, about 15 pulses
- Add your ice water slowly over the mixture and pulse until the mixture is evenly moistened and crumbly. Add more water slowly if your mixture is too dry.
- Dump the crumbly dough out onto a clean surface and divide it in half. Use your hands to knead the two sections of dough into disks.
- Wrap the dough disk in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before use.
- Preheat your oven to 200 °C.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped rhubarb, sliced strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared pie pan containing a pie crust.
- Place the second crust over the mixture and pinch outer edges to seal your pie.
- Using a knife, slice a few holes into the top crust to allow hot air to escape while baking.
- Brush the egg white over the top of your pie and place in the oven.
- Bake for around 60 minutes or until golden brown. Then remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with ice cream.
Serves 8. Baking instructions are a guideline only. Baking times may vary.