6 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups Golden Cloud Cake Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons just-boiled water
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale yellow, light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla essence and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients - Golden Cloud Cake Flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and eggs and mix to form a soft dough. If you feel that the mixture is too sticky to roll, add a little more flour but avoid adding too much or the dough will become too tough.
- Shape the dough to form a fat disc, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Dust a suitable flat surface with flour, place the (now chilled) dough on it, and sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the dough to approximately 6.5mm in thickness.
- Dip the cookie-cutters of choice into flour and cut into the dough.
- Place the cookies onto lined baking sheets making sure to leave space between the cookies to allow them to expand.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes. When the edges turn golden brown, your cookies are ready.
- When the cookies are fully cooled, it’s time to decorate with icing.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of luke warm water into a large bowl, add the sieved icing sugar and mix together. Add more water if needed until you get a thick paste. Add colouring of choice and ice the cooled cookies.
Recipe adapted from: https://bit.ly/33IldFl