Chocolate Palmier Cookies
Prep time: 40 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
- 250g Golden Cloud Cake flour
- 250g unsalted butter, softened and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 120ml cold water
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 80g Beacon Heavenly Milk Chocolate slab
- Place flour, butter and salt in a food processor and pulse for 1–2 second increments until the butter has broken down to 1 cm pieces.
- With the motor running, slowly add the water to the mixture.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place onto a floured work surface.
- Shape dough into a rectangle and roll out until just over double in length than it is wide. Fold the dough into thirds. Repeat the rolling and turning process three times. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dust your work surface with caster sugar and place dough on top. Sprinkle with more caster sugar. Roll dough until 5 mm thick and 2½ times longer than it is wide. Trim to clean edges and sprinkle well with sugar.
- Sprinkle the top third of the dough with sugar, forming a line across the width of the dough. Repeat on the bottom third of the pastry, forming another line of sugar across the width of the dough.
- Fold the pastry over, then sprinkle more sugar and repeat twice to form 3 folded layers.
- Repeat with the bottom layer of sugar-coated dough, sprinkling each layer with sugar until the rolled dough at the top and bottom meet at the centre.
- Fold the bottom layer over the top layer to form a flat, layered rectangle. Wrap the dough in plastic and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 230°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into 1 cm-thick slices. Transfer to the baking tray. Sprinkle more sugar on top of each cookie slice.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the sugar has caramelised and the pastry is golden.
- Once baked, immediately flip the cookies over to prevent a pool of sugar sticking to them and allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and dip your cookies in the chocolate to coat. Alternatively, drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cookies.
Makes 25 Palmiers. Baking instructions are a guideline only. Baking times may vary.